Crazy Inventions: Scuba Diving Dog (US Patent 6,206,000)
If you’re a dog lover AND a fanatic scuba diver, now there is a solution for combining your two interests, courtesy of Dwane L. Folsom, inventor of the Canine Scuba Diving Apparatus.
Specifically tailored for Shadow, the under water diving dog at Seaworld, FL, this apparatus could easily be used by Lassie, Clifford or Scooby.
Garfield, eat your heart out.
The apparatus features a sci-fi looking harness, head globe and my personal favorite features:
a speaker and a microphone mounted inside the helmet;
an electrical connection from the speaker and microphone to a water-proof connector exterior to the helmet for connection to an intercom system;
Oh, thank goodness there’s a mic! That way, if the dog starts experiencing problems with it’s scuba diving gear, it will be able to communicate exactly what the problem is and how the humans can fix it. Oh wait -- scratch that. That intercom system is for communicating instructions TO the animal, not FROM the animal.
I always thought that the safety of scuba diving is entirely predicated on training the user what to do in an emergency situation. How can a dog check its air levels? There is also a system of weights to compensate for the dog’s buoyancy. But how will the animal ensure it is descending at a proper rate?
Well, I’m no card-carrying member of PETA, but I’d love to hear some opinions on this wacky invention. What do you all think? Is this patent simply an instance of approved animal abuse or an instance of inventive genius?
July 7, 2010
You will be asked to log in before the comment is saved.
About Noro IP Blog
Do you know of a unique invention, celebrity patent, or IP news that should be featured in our blog? Send an email to PatentSpecialist@NoroIP.com with your idea.
Disclaimer: No information on this blog is intended as legal advice or to substitute for legal advice and is offered for informational purposes only.
- ► 2014 (1)
- ► 2013 (1)
- ► August (4)
- ► July (4)
- ► June (3)
- ► May (4)
- ► April (2)
- ► March (4)
- ► October (1)
- ► September (2)
- ► July (1)
- ► June (5)
- ► May (1)
- ► April (3)
- ► March (4)
- Important Patent Search and Patent Application Terms
- Got an Ohio Patent? Win an Award!
- Sarah Palin Denied Trademark over Technicalities in Application
- What's the Difference Between a Patent Lawyer and Patent Agent?
- Win $10 to Starbucks! Add a Blog Comment Feb-March
- Noro IP Nominated for Best New Internship Category
- ► January (2)
- Win $10 to Starbucks! January Comment Contest
- Celebrity Patents: Walt Disney – Disney World Takes a 360° Turn
- Santa Claus Visit Kit Patent US 7,258,592
- WIN $10 TO STARBUCKS! Holiday Blog Contest
- Apple Attacked by Technology Opponents
- Top 10 US Patent Application Leaders - Dec. 6, 2010
- Noro IP Featured in Cleveland Business Connections Magazine
- ► November (3)
- ► October (5)
- ► September (1)
- ► July (2)
- ► June (1)
- ► December (7)
- ► November (1)
- Tavern on the Green Trademark Lawsuit in New York
- USPTO Rescinds Rules Regarding the Patent Regulations Package
- Crazy Inventions: Pedal Operated Mower (US Patent 4,455,816)
- Google’s Logo a Dedication to the Barcode (Patent 2,612,994)
- How to Conduct a Patent Search
- All Atwitter About Twitter (Twitter v. TechRadium)
- Celebrity Patents: Michael Jackson Anti-Gravity Lean Shoes (US Patent 5,255,452)
- ► August (3)