Celebrity Patents: Michael Jackson Anti-Gravity Lean Shoes (US Patent 5,255,452)
By Miguel Taveras, Noro IP Patent Division Director
Have you ever wondered how Michael Jackson did his anti-gravity lean? Well, it turns out The King of Pop was more than just a talented singer, dancer and artist; he also invented and patented one of the most unique shoes ever designed. His shoe allowed the wearer to lean forward beyond their center of gravity by hitching to a rod projecting through a stage surface.
As shown in the images, the shoes had a special slot cut out of the bottom of the shoes so that Michael could seem to defy gravity, while really just hanging on by a peg protruding from the stage floor that inserts into the slit in the bottom of the performer's shoes.
The question arises though, why would Michael Jackson get a patent for his special shoes? As is the case in most patents, Michael would have wanted one of two things. The first would be exclusive rights to sell his shoes to the public. But seeing as I have yet to see any MJ shoes on the market that don’t belong to His Airness (Michael Jordan), that is probably not the case. Instead, Michael Jackson probably wanted to make sure that no other performer could steal his anti-gravity lean and use it in their performances.
For those looking to find his shoes in action, check out the video below.
October 2, 2009
You will be asked to log in before the comment is saved.
About Noro IP Blog
Do you know of a unique invention, celebrity patent, or IP news that should be featured in our blog? Send an email to PatentSpecialist@NoroIP.com with your idea.
Disclaimer: No information on this blog is intended as legal advice or to substitute for legal advice and is offered for informational purposes only.
- ► 2014 (1)
- ► 2013 (1)
- ► August (4)
- ► July (4)
- ► June (3)
- ► May (4)
- ► April (2)
- ► March (4)
- ► October (1)
- ► September (2)
- ► July (1)
- ► June (5)
- ► May (1)
- ► April (3)
- ► March (4)
- Important Patent Search and Patent Application Terms
- Got an Ohio Patent? Win an Award!
- Sarah Palin Denied Trademark over Technicalities in Application
- What's the Difference Between a Patent Lawyer and Patent Agent?
- Win $10 to Starbucks! Add a Blog Comment Feb-March
- Noro IP Nominated for Best New Internship Category
- ► January (2)
- Win $10 to Starbucks! January Comment Contest
- Celebrity Patents: Walt Disney – Disney World Takes a 360° Turn
- Santa Claus Visit Kit Patent US 7,258,592
- WIN $10 TO STARBUCKS! Holiday Blog Contest
- Apple Attacked by Technology Opponents
- Top 10 US Patent Application Leaders - Dec. 6, 2010
- Noro IP Featured in Cleveland Business Connections Magazine
- ► November (3)
- ► October (5)
- ► September (1)
- ► July (2)
- ► June (1)
- ► December (7)
- ► November (1)
- Tavern on the Green Trademark Lawsuit in New York
- USPTO Rescinds Rules Regarding the Patent Regulations Package
- Crazy Inventions: Pedal Operated Mower (US Patent 4,455,816)
- Google’s Logo a Dedication to the Barcode (Patent 2,612,994)
- How to Conduct a Patent Search
- All Atwitter About Twitter (Twitter v. TechRadium)
- Celebrity Patents: Michael Jackson Anti-Gravity Lean Shoes (US Patent 5,255,452)
- ► August (3)