Job Description (Please follow all instructions carefully)
Job Title: Administrative Patent Judge (Mechanical/Business Methods) Department: Department Of Commerce Agency: Commerce, Patent and Trademark Office Job Announcement Number: CS-11-0056-ExRD
Salary Range: $134,498.00 - $165,300.00 /year
Series & Grade: AD-1222-01/01
Open Period: Friday, November 26, 2010 to Friday, December 24, 2010
Position Information: Full-Time Permanent
Duty Locations: 5 vacancies - Alexandria, Arlington & Falls Church, VA
Who May Be Considered: Applications will be accepted from all groups of qualified individuals.
The United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO), a cutting-edge organization dealing with intellectual property issues around the world, is seeking a high performing professional to join as an Administrative Patent Judge (Mechanical/Business Methods).
The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) has been serving the economic interests of America for more than 200 years. We are responsible for granting US intellectual property rights for patents and trademarks. Our efforts have provided inventors exclusive rights over their discoveries. It's an effort that continues to contribute to a strong global economy, to encourage investment in innovation and to cultivate an entrepreneurial spirit for the 21st century. The USPTO is headquartered in Alexandria, Virginia, and has over 8,000 employees, including engineers, scientists, attorneys, analysts, IT specialists, etc. all dedicated to accomplishing the USPTO's mission, vision, strategic goals and guiding principles. For more information about the USPTO, please visit our websites athttp://usptocareers.gov/
In an uncertain economy, the USPTO provides stability, job growth, and a career. Learn more about our substantial and unmatched employee benefits by clicking on the 'Benefits and Other Information' tabs.
The Office of Human Resources strongly encourages applicants applying for positions to read the vacancy announcement in its entirety before submitting application materials for this position. If you have any questions or concerns about the application procedure or processes, please contact the individual listed under 'Contact Information.' Failure to follow instructions in the announcement will result in your application not receiving consideration
Serves as a member of the Board of Patent Appeals and Interferences (BPAI) of the U.S.Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO). The BPAI has authority to hear and adjudicate appeals from decisions of Primary Examiners as to patentability in applications for patents, for reissue of patents, and for reexamination of patents; to declare and conduct proceedings in interferences; and to determine priority of invention. As an administrative patent judge, the incumbent participates in appellate hearings, exercises independent judgment on all matters subject to administrative appeals, and issues written decisions that can be appealed in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit. A background investigation will be required. Selectee will serve a one-year probationary period. Selectee will be subject to Federal Executive Personnel Financial Disclosure Report (Standard Form 278) requirements.
In addition to a technical degree in one of the areas specified above, candidates must possess (1) comprehensive patent experience in either the field of mechanical technology or business methods which demonstrated the exercise of independent judgment in a responsible position as typified by the exercise of full signatory authority as a Patent Examiner or by comparable experience in some other position inside or outside the USPTO; (2) a law degree and membership in good standing of the Bar of any state, District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, or any U.S. territory; (3)a high degree of demonstrated competence in either the field of mechanical technology or business methods; (4) a high degree of demonstrated competence and knowledge of interference practice and litigation-related proceedings; (5) demonstrated ability to determine whether or not tests which are submitted in evidence are technically sufficient to prove the questions at hand; (6) demonstrated ability to write clear, logically-developed opinions; (7) demonstrated ability to use legal and technical background to evaluate testimony of witnesses; (8) demonstrated ability to deal effectively with people within and outside the USPTO; and (9) comprehensive experience in patent prosecution, examination or administration which demonstrates a thorough knowledge and application of patent laws and rules of practice.
You must be a U.S. citizen to qualify for this position.
You will need to successfully complete a background security investigation before you can be appointed into this position.How You Will Be Evaluated:
1. Knowledge of technical subject matter associated with patent appeal and interference proceedings. This factor includes formal education, training, professional experience, and professional recognition in one or more of the following technical subject areas: mechanical technology and/or business methods. This factor includes the ability to effectively apply technical education, training, and professional experience in resolving complex technical issues.
2. Knowledge of legal principles associated with patent appeal and litigation-related proceedings. This factor includes formal education, training, professional experience, and professional recognition in relevant patent law legal principles involved in patent appeals and litigation-related proceedings. This factor includes the ability to effectively apply legal education, training, and professional experience in resolving complex patent law issues.
3. Demonstrated ability to be highly productive and meet established time constraints while producing exceptionally high quality work products. This factor includes the ability to be industrious and to meet and exceed productivity standards. This factor also includes the ability to work under time constraints and to meet and exceed established deadlines. This factor further includes the demonstrated ability to consistently produce exceptionally high quality work products that are thorough and accurate both technically and legally.
4. Demonstrated ability to effectively work in groups to resolve complex technical and legal issues. This factor includes the ability to be able to work effectively and efficiently with others in achieving a stated goal. This factor additionally includes the ability to effectively and efficiently serve in the roles of team leader and team member. This factor further includes the ability to maintain a judicial demeanor at all times while interacting with others in a group environment.
5. Demonstrated oral and written communication skills. This factor includes the ability to effectively communicate orally regarding complex technical and legal issues. The factor additionally includes the ability to effectively communicate in writing regarding complex technical and legal issues. This factor further includes the ability the fully comprehend the complex technical and legal issues discussed in a work group and to accurately communicate the agreed upon analyses and conclusions both orally and in writing.
Benefits:You may participate in the Federal Employees Health Benefits program, with costs shared with your employer. More info: http://www.usajobs.gov/jobextrainfo.asp#FEHB.
Life insurance coverage is provided. More info: http://www.usajobs.gov/jobextrainfo.asp#life
Long-Term Care Insurance is offered and carries into your retirement. More info: http://www.usajobs.gov/jobextrainfo.asp#ltci
New employees are automatically covered by the Federal Employees Retirement System (FERS). If you are transferring from another agency and covered by CSRS, you may continue in this program. More info: http://www.usajobs.gov/jobextrainfo.asp#retr
You will earn annual vacation leave. More info: http://www.usajobs.gov/jobextrainfo.asp#VACA
You will earn sick leave. More info: http://www.usajobs.gov/jobextrainfo.asp#SKLV
You will be paid for federal holidays that fall within your regularly scheduled tour of duty. More info: http://www.usajobs.gov/jobextrainfo.asp#HOLI
If you use public transportation, part of your transportation costs may be subsidized. Our human resources office can provide additional information on how this program is run.
You can use Health Care Flexible Spending Accounts for expenses that are tax-deductible, but not reimbursed by any other source, including out-of-pocket expenses and non-covered benefits under their FEHB plans. More Info: http://www.usajobs.gov/jobextrainfo.asp#FSAOther Information:You must submit all required information by the closing date. If materials are not received, your application will be evaluated solely on the information available and you may not receive full consideration or may not be considered eligible.
The materials you send with your application will not be returned.
Before entering on duty, you will be required to complete a Confidential Financial Disclosure Report, OGE-450. You will need to provide the information annually.
You will be required to serve a probationary period of 1 year.How To Apply:
Required Documents: A resume or OF-612, Optional Application for Federal Employment.Copy of most recent performance appraisal (optional).
Note: Please be sure to demonstrate your technical experience as referenced in the 'Qualifications' tab within your resume package.
Please do not bind, tab, or place your application in a notebook.
FOR SPECIFIC INFORMATION ABOUT THE ANNOUNCEMENT CALL:
Carolyn Schad(571)272-7003 TTD#: (800) 828-1120 or Relay System
WHERE TO APPLY IN PERSON, BY COURIER, OR FEDEX MAIL:
United States Patent and Trademark Office
Office of Human Resources Elizabeth Townhouse, Suite 1A79
550 Elizabeth Lane
Alexandria, VA 22314
WHERE TO SUBMIT BY REGULAR MAIL:
United States Patent and Trademark Office
Mail Stop 171
Office of Human Resources, CS-11-0056-ExRD
P.O. Box 1450
Alexandria, VA 22313-1450
WHERE TO SUBMIT BY E-MAIL:
USPTOExecutiveRecruitment@USPTO.GOVElectronic submission must be received by 11:59pm Eastern time on the closing date of the vacancy announcement.
United States Patent and Trademark Office programs are accessible to people with disabilities. This document will be converted to an appropriate alternative form for applicants with disabilities. Requests for this or other assistance and accommodation should be directed to the contact above.
VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT SUPPLEMENTAL INFORMATION
ALL QUALIFIED APPLICANTS WILL BE CONSIDERED REGARDLESS OF AGE, RACE, COLOR, SEX, CREED, NATIONAL ORIGIN, LAWFUL POLITICAL AFFILIATION, NON-DISQUALIFYING HANDICAP, MARITAL STATUS, SEXUAL ORIENTATION, AFFILIATION WITH AN EMPLOYEE ORGANIZATION, OR OTHER NON-MERIT FACTOR.
II. GENERAL INFORMATION
1. Applicants must apply at their own expense; applications mailed in government postage-paid envelopes will not be considered.
2. Applicants must ensure that their complete application is received in the Office of Human Resources no later than the closing date of the vacancy announcement.
3. Applicants must meet all eligibility requirements by the closing date of the vacancy announcement.
4. Applicants must be citizens of the United States
5. Veterans preference is applicable for theAD Positions.
6. If selected, male applicants born after December 31, 1959, must confirm their selective service registration status. Certification forms are available at most Federal agency personnel offices or from the U.S. Office of Personnel Management.
7. Applications will not be returned to applicants.
8. Applicants will receive notification of the outcome of a vacancy announcement as soon as possible after a selection is made.
9. Privacy Act requirements (PL 93-579): the application forms prescribed are used to determine qualification for promotion, reassignment, or employment and are authorized under Title 5, USC sections 3302 and 3360.
10. The Office of Human Resources strongly encourages applicants applying for positions to read the vacancy announcement in its entirety before submitting application materials for this position. If you have any questions or concerns about the application procedure or processes, please contact the individual listed under 'Contact Information.' Failure to follow instructions in the announcement will result in your application not receiving consideration
Contact Information: Carolyn Schad
Patent and Trademark Office
Office of Human Resources
550 Elizabeth Lane, 4th Floor
Alexandria, VA 22314
What To Expect Next:Once your complete application is received we will conduct an evaluation of your qualifications and determine your ranking. The most highly qualified candidates will be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interview. We expect to make a selection within 30 days of the closing date of this announcement. You will be notified of the outcome. EEO Policy Statement:http://www.usajobs.gov/eeo
Reasonable Accommodation Policy Statement:http://www.usajobs.gov/raps
Legal and Regulatory Guidance:http://www.usajobs.gov/lrg
Control Number: 2106746