About Solarmer Energy, Inc.
Solarmer Energy, Inc. is developing transparent, lightweight, flexible, plastic solar panels. In addition to these features, Solarmer's plastic solar panels are expected to cost a fraction of what silicon solar panels cost. These panels will create new markets that are currently not addressable with conventional silicon solar panel technology. The first major applications for this technology will likely be portable digital electronic devices (such as cell phones and laptops) and outdoor lifestyle applications. Smart Fabrics and Building-Integrated Photovoltaics will soon follow. The company was founded in 2006 to commercialize technology first developed at UCLA.
About the Job
The Intellectual Property (IP) Administrator assists in managing and maintaining the company’s worldwide intellectual property portfolio (patents, trademarks, and licensing), as well as preparation of legal documents and providing other documentation and compliance support. The ideal candidate is energetic, flexible and highly organized. Must be able to juggle multiple projects and thrive in a fast-paced environment while maintaining a positive attitude. This position reports to the Vice President, Strategic Asset Management.
Primary Responsibilities Include:
· IP Portfolio management
· Maintain patent and trademark files and calendars, ensuring completeness, accuracy and that all due dates are met
· Invention disclosure review and tracking
· Manage inventor incentive program
· Maintain IP legal budget and expense database, resolve IP legal invoice issues
· Perform research as requested, including patent searches
· Provide reports for patent review meetings.
· Maintain physical and electronic filing systems.
· Secure signatures on various documents (POA, Assignments, Declarations)
· Preparation of legal documents
· Assist in preparation of legal documents, including primary responsibility for non-disclosure agreements and materials transfer agreements
· Compose, draft and track revisions of documents
· Assist with licensing activities, such as tracking compliance with license terms and preparing correspondence
· Other document management responsibilities
· Responsible for the coordination and completion of some government, regulatory, and compliance documents
· Preparation and maintenance of documentation to support other operational needs
· Create electronic and physical files, ensuring documentation gets filed appropriately
Required competencies include:
At least 2-5 years of experience in patent and trademark matters, paralegal experience/certification is a plus
Experience with creating/maintaining data rooms a plus
General office skills- filing, faxing, emailing, meeting notes
Strong attention to detail, coordination of multiple projects and ability to set priorities and meet deadlines under pressure
Strong written and verbal communication skills and an ability to work individually, on a project or in a team environment
High level of initiative and the ability to work independently. Take personal ownership while going beyond assigned tasks to improve project execution.
Strong knowledge and experience using MS Word, Excel, Outlook
Adaptability to changing work assignments. Flexibility with duties.
Complete discretion and ability to work with confidential information
Strong problem solving skills