The VP/General Counsel will perform consultation, advisory, and/or trial work, and carry out the legal processes necessary to effect the rights, privileges, and obligations of the company including but not limited to; general contract review and drafting, employment and labor matters, monitoring and protecting Toshiba’s intellectual property rights while ensuring that IP rights of others are not infringed, compliance with discovery orders and other litigation related matters, overseeing all aspects of the corporate and government compliance programs and other legal issues.
- Develop and recommend company policy and position on legal issues.
- Manages relationship with outside legal representation.
- Prepares and reviews various legal instruments and documents, such as contracts, leases, licenses, purchases, sales, real estate, patent applications, etc.
- Examines legal data to provide legal counsel on issues arising from actual or anticipated lawsuits to include advertisements, publications, court rulings, etc., for legal implications, advising officials of proposed legislation that might affect the organization.
- Applies for copyrights or registration of the organization's products, processes, devices, and trademarks, advising whether to initiate or defend infringement law suits.
- Conducts pretrial preparations and defends the organization in lawsuits.
- Represents the company before quasi-judicial or administrative agencies of the government.
- Develops and maintains effective compliance programs in accordance with applicable laws, regulations and company policies and assure that appropriate compliance-related training is conducted.
- Provides legal guidance to the business on a wide-range of issues; advises concerning transactions of business involving internal affairs, directors, officers, and corporate relations with general public.
- Act as agent of the organization in various transactions.
- Manages a staff of 4 lawyers and several associated support personnel.
TAIS supports a diverse workplace and is an equal opportunity employer. It is the policy of the Company to value and promote diversity. Workforce diversity allows the Company to derive benefits from different viewpoints and perspectives in decision-making, fosters greater innovation and creativity, and a broad pool of qualified applicants. Diversity facilitates a broader, richer cultural environment for the Company’s employees.
TAIS has designed a comprehensive, yet flexible, benefit program to offer freedom of choice options to address the different needs you and your family may have. With that in mind, we offer a wide range of health benefits, life activity, education/career development and financial savings/security programs and empower our employees by providing them with the tools and the information they need to effectively manage their health/wellness care.
ABOUT TOSHIBA AMERICA INFORMATION SYSTEMS, INC. (TAIS):
Headquartered in Irvine, Calif., TAIS is comprised of four business units: Digital Products Division, Imaging Systems Division, Storage Device Division, and Telecommunication Systems Division. Together, these divisions provide mobile products and solutions, including industry leading portable computers; projectors; imaging products for the security, medical and manufacturing markets; storage products for automotive, computer and consumer electronics applications; and telephony equipment and associated applications.
TAIS provides sales, marketing and services for its wide range of information products in the United States and Latin America. TAIS is an independent operating company owned by Toshiba America, Inc., a subsidiary of Toshiba Corporation. Toshiba Corporation is a world leader and innovator in high technology, a diversified manufacturer and marketer of advanced electronic and electrical products. These products span from information & communications systems; digital consumer products; electronic devices and components; as well as power systems including nuclear energy; industrial and social infrastructure systems; and home appliances. Toshiba was founded in 1875, and today operates a global network of more than 730 companies, with 199,000 employees worldwide and annual sales surpassing US$67 billion. For more information on Toshiba visit